Sunday, August 13, 2017

A Mother's Eyes

Last Sabbath, someone we visited in the afternoon was analysing our youngest and asked if we're "really going to keep him" and if we can't send him back to his foster family.

Why?

Because they see disability.

On the other hand, I see a child who without therapy has made leaps and bounds that shock the therapist each time I take him. "I haven't done anything! All the improvement is YOU and your love for him!"

I see a boy who despite his discomforts tries to enjoy life and the anxieties it brings.

I see quirks, not failings.

I see hope, not defect.

This mother's eyes see possibility, not disability.

So no, though it's not the first time someone assumed adopted children are dispensible, they're not.

Special needs parenting is an opportunity to grow even more into Christ's likeness. It's not a burden, it's a blessing

No comments: